- The Tampa Bay Lightning managed to hang on and live to see another game. Ondrej Palat scored with 6:22 remaining in the 3rd period to give Tampa the 3-2 lead and the win over the Colorado Avalanche. Nikita Kucherov and defenseman Jan Rutta also scored for the Lightning while Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 36 shots. The series heads back to Tampa for Game 6 with Colorado leading the 7 game series 3-2.
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) June 25, 2022
- The Chicago Blackhawks are expected to name Luke Richardson as the team’s next head coach. Richardson has been in the role of assistant coach with the Montreal Canadiens since 2018.
Hearing Luke Richardson will be the next head coach of the Chicago #Blackhawks.
Sources say Richardson and the Hawks are putting the final touches on a contract.
Quite the resume for Richardson, who played 1400+ NHL games, 8 years as NHL assistant, 4 years as AHL head coach.
— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) June 24, 2022
- Philadelphia Flyers forward Joel Farabee will be out of commission for 3-to-4 months after having successful disc replacement surgery. There is a possibility he will miss games early in the 2022-2023 season, this will be the 1st of Farabee’s 6-year, $30-million contract extension.
INJURY UPDATE: Flyers forward Joel Farabee underwent successful disc replacement surgery in his cervical region this morning (Fri., June 24). The surgery was performed by Dr. Jon Yoon, a neurosurgeon at Penn Medicine.
He is expected to make a full recovery in 3-4 months. pic.twitter.com/qyio463iKG
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) June 24, 2022
- The Houston Astros put an end to the New York Yankees 15-game home winning streak. Justin Verlander gave up just 4 hits over 7-innings and Kyle Tucker came in clutch with a 3-run homer in the 6th inning to push the Astros past the major league leading Yankees 3-1 on Friday night.
— Houston Astros (@astros) June 25, 2022
- The Los Angeles Dodgers will likely have to manage without reliever Daniel Hudson for the entirety of the season. The right-hander suffered an ACL injury while attempting to field a ground ball in the 8th inning off the bat of Atlanta Braves Ronald Acuna Jr.
Brutal for Daniel Hudson
Hopefully it’s not as serious as it looked pic.twitter.com/y8qpt4DwrS
— Blake Harris (@BlakeHarrisTBLA) June 25, 2022
- The New York Yankees successfully avoided an arbitration hearing with their star outfielder Aaron Judge. The 2 sides settling on a $19 million salary plus incentives for the 2022 season. However they were unable to reach an agreement on an extension.
The Yankees and Aaron Judge have agreed to a one-year, $19 million contract for 2022, a source confirmed to @Ken_Rosenthal.
This means the two sides will avoid an arbitration hearing.
— The Athletic MLB (@TheAthleticMLB) June 24, 2022
- Steve Clifford is set to return for a 2nd stint as head coach of the Charlotte Hornets. He has reportedly signed a 3-year deal that will pay him $4 million for each of the first 2 seasons. Clifford was with Charlotte from 2013-2018, he was let go in April of 2018 which led to him taking over the Orlando Magic before mutually parting ways in June of 2021.
— Rod Boone (@rodboone) June 24, 2022
- The Orlando Magic kept a pretty good secret as to who they were taking as the 1st pick in the 2022 NBA Draft on Thursday night. Paolo Banchero himself did not find out until about 30 seconds before the commissioner announced the No. 1 pick. “It all happened pretty fast,” Banchero said.
— Orlando Magic (@OrlandoMagic) June 24, 2022
- Alvin Kamara, running back for the New Orleans Saints, is facing a 6-game suspension. The suspension comes as the result of an arrest on felony battery after the 2022 Pro Bowl. A 6-game suspension is the standard consequence for felony battery in the NFL’s personal conduct policy. A hearing for Kamara’s case is set for August 1st.
Saints RB Alvin Kamara braces for a suspension of at least six games, eventually, due to a Las Vegas incident occurring on Pro Bowl weekend. https://t.co/DnN1IDfMds
— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) June 23, 2022
- New York Jets linebacker, C.J. Mosley told Mark Inabinett of AL.com. “I’m really expecting playoffs or bust. Obviously, that’s my goal every year, but I think it’s something that’s a realistic goal for our entire team and our coaches.”
— NFL Rumors (@nflrums) June 24, 2022