- The Atlanta Hawks had an impressive 2nd half to edge out the Cleveland Cavaliers 107-101 in Fridays nights play-in game. The Hawks center, Clint Capela went out late in the 2nd quarter with a hyperextended knee. Trae Young led Atlanta with 38 points, 3 rebounds and 9 assists. The Hawks locked up the Eastern Conference’s No. 8 playoff seed with the win. They will face No. 1 seed Miami in the first round of the playoffs. Game 1 will be Sunday in South Florida.
FLOAT GAME CLUTCH pic.twitter.com/apVfmomWnA
— Atlanta Hawks (@ATLHawks) April 16, 2022
- The New Orleans Pelicans rally in the 4th quarter to beat the Los Angeles Clippers 105-101. The Pelicans secured the Western Conference’s last post season spot with the win on Friday night. Brandon Ingram led New Orleans with 30 points, 6 rebound and 6 assists. The Clippers were without star Paul George due to entering health and safety protocols. The Pelicans will now face the NBA-leading Phoenix Suns in the opening round of the playoffs.
TREY MURPHY THE THIRD pic.twitter.com/DqLqs1DwW9
— New Orleans Pelicans (@PelicansNBA) April 16, 2022
- Saturday Playoff games : Utah Jazz at Dallas Mavericks – 1:00pm EST, Minnesota Timberwolves at Memphis Grizzles – 3:30pm EST, Toronto Raptors at Philadelphia 76er’s – 6:00pm EST, Denver Nuggets at Golden State Warriors – 8:30pm EST.
- Shohei Ohtani hit 2 home runs and led The Los Angeles Angels 9-6 over the Texas Rangers on Friday night.
The second home run of the night for Shohei Ohtani! pic.twitter.com/dGnY66G2Ga
— Los Angeles Angels (@Angels) April 16, 2022
- Byron Buxton, star outfielder for the Minnesota Twins will undergo an MRI for a possible knee injury. Buxton suffered the injury in the top of the 1st-inning sliding into 2nd base. The Twins beat the Boston Red Sox at Fenway in their home opener 8-4.
Byron Buxton left the game after this slide into second. Hoping he’s okay pic.twitter.com/4yICUetbP5
— Talkin’ Baseball (@TalkinBaseball_) April 15, 2022
- Baltimore Orioles left-hander, John Means has been placed on the 10-day injured list as of Friday. He was pulled in the 4th-inning of Wednesday nights game with a left elbow strain.
- The Florida Panthers won their 9th straight game on Friday night 6-1 over the Winnipeg Jets. Jonathan Huberdeau and Gustav Forsling each scored 2 goals and Sergei Bobrovsky had 30 saves for the Panthers.
- Mike Bossy, New York Islanders Legend, has passed away at the age of 65. The Montreal Canadians and the Islanders paid tribute to Bossy before the game on Friday.
The Montreal Canadiens and the New York Islanders paid tribute to Mike Bossy, who passed away at the age of 65 following a courageous battle with lung cancer. pic.twitter.com/gBFmgcESuT
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) April 15, 2022
- Vancouver Canucks captain, Bo Horvat, is expected to miss the next 2 weeks with a leg injury. He took a slap shot off of his leg in Thursday nights game against the Arizona Coyotes and did not return.
- Free-agent cornerback, Stephon Gilmore will sign with the Indianapolis Colts. They have agreed on a 2 year $23-million deal, with $14-million guaranteed.
- One of the final pre-draft meetings for the Detroit Lions will reportedly be with Pittsburg quarterback Kenny Pickett.
- Kylie Fitts, defensive end that played 1 season with the Chicago Bears and then the last 3 seasons with the Arizona Cardinals announced his retirement on Friday. He said it is not safe for him to continue due to too many concussions.
#AZCardinals LB Kylie Fitts announces his retirement due to too many concussions and the severity of his most recent one.
“It is no longer safe for me to continue to play.” pic.twitter.com/a0Zt87rSB4
— Tyler Drake (@Tdrake4sports) April 15, 2022