- Bam Adebayo scored 23 points, Jimmy Butler had 22 points and 12 assists, helping lift the Heat over the Philadelphia 76ers 119-103 on Wednesday night for a 2-0 lead in the Eastern Conference semifinals. Tyrese Maxey scored 34 points in Philadelphia’s losing effort, which got 21 from Tobias Harris and 20 from James Harden. Game 3 will be Friday in Philadelphia.
— NBA (@NBA) May 4, 2022
- Chris Paul turns in another spectacular 4th quarter scoring 14 of his 28 points and leading the Phoenix Suns to a 2-0 series lead with a 120-109 win over the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday. Luka Doncic turned in a 35 point game despite Dallas being beat handedly.
CP3 going to work on Luka 😤 pic.twitter.com/mbsLObx0Ht
— NBA TV (@NBATV) May 5, 2022
- Friday Playoff schedule (no games on Thursday) – Miami Heat at Philadelphia 76er’s – 7:00pm EST (ESPN), Phoenix Suns at Dallas Mavericks – 9:30pm EST (ESPN)
- The Boston Bruins fall for the 2nd straight game losing to the Carolina Hurricanes 5-2. Sebastian Aho and Nino Niederreriter both had a pair of goals a piece for Carolina. Game 3 will be Friday night in Boston.
That puck was the little engine that could pic.twitter.com/H8X5XpAb0O
— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) May 5, 2022
- Victor Hedman had a goal and 3 assists for his first 4-point playoff game and the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-3 on Wednesday night to even the 1st-round series at 1-1. Nikita Kucherov had a goal and 2 assists and Brayden Point, Corey Perry and Brandon Hagel also scored for Tampa Bay. Andrei Vasilevskiy had 31 saves in a redemption game after the Lightning dropped the opener 5-0. Game 3 is Friday in Florida.
Power play on Point. pic.twitter.com/3iqPQHDWbG
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) May 5, 2022
- The Minnesota Wild was pushing 70 minutes without scoring when they finally caught a break after a St. Louis broken stick. Kirill Kaprizov had a hat trick and Eriksson Ek scored 2 goals for the Wild, who jumped back at the St. Louis Blues with a 6-2 victory to even their 1st-round playoff series at 1-1 Wednesday night.
— Minnesota Wild (@mnwild) May 5, 2022
- The Edmonton Oilers run over the Los Angeles Kings 6-0 and even the series at 1-1. Mike Smith bounced back with a perfect 30-save night. Evander Kane had 2 goals and 1 assist, Ryan McLeod had 1 of each. Jesse Puljujarvi, Darnell Nurse and Leon Draisaitl also scored. Connor McDavid added 2 assists. Game 3 is Friday in Los Angeles.
Mike Smith (30 saves) recorded the 10th instance in NHL history of a goaltender age 40 or older posting a shutout in a playoff game and the first since Dwayne Roloson (Game 7 of the 2011 CQF w/ TBL). #StanleyCup#NHLStats: https://t.co/SkbL0CFVQP pic.twitter.com/nnDFaygLUF
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) May 5, 2022
- Thursday Playoff schedule : Pittsburg Penguins at New York Rangers – 7:00pm EST (TNT), Washington Capitals at Florida Panthers – 7:30pm EST (TBS), Nashville Predators at Colorado Avalanche – 9:30pm EST (TNT), Dallas Stars at Calgary Flames – 10:00pm EST (TBS)
- 1st base umpire Dan Bellino ejected Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Madison Bumgarner following an inspection for unknown substances on his hand after the 1st inning of Wednesday’s game against the Miami Marlins. The exchange became heated after it appeared Bumgarner received a different check than Marlins right-hander Elieser Hernandez.
The difference between MadBum's and Hernandez's hand checks is striking. pic.twitter.com/CRPOuRXBUE
— Bally Sports Arizona (@BALLYSPORTSAZ) May 4, 2022
- Toronto Blue Jays avoid the sweep and put an end to the Yankees 11 game win streak. Blue Jays beat New York 2-1.
We would run through a wall for this man 💥 pic.twitter.com/UWMYIPtTYa
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) May 5, 2022
- New York Mets right-handed reliever Trevor May has a stress reaction in his humerus bone and will be out for at least the next four weeks.
— New York Post (@nypost) May 4, 2022