- Travis Kelce and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to terms on a restructured contract. Kelce signed a 4-year contract extension in 2020 that was worth $57.25 million. The team will reportedly move $3 million from the backside of the contract to add to his 2022 earnings, said to likely be given in the form of a signing bonus.
The #Chiefs and star TE Travis Kelce have agreed to terms on an adjusted contract to give him a raise in 2022, sources say. Money is moved from the back of the deal to properly compensate Kelce.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 27, 2022
- Star wide receiver Deebo Samuel has reported to San Francisco 49er’s training camp. However, he is not participating in the teams first practice. When asked Kyle Shanahan had this to say about the situation :
“We all know there’s a lot going on with Deebo right now. We’ll see what happens. I just had a great conversation with Deebo, so regardless of what happens, he’s going to go out there and condition on the side, we’ll see where he’s at. Hopefully, we can figure something out soon. But we’re in a good place for today.”
— OurSF49ers (@OurSf49ers_) July 27, 2022
- Julio Jones after signing a 1-year deal 2 days ago with the Super Bowl hopeful Tampa Bay Buccaneers had this to say to the press on Wednesday :
“Just being with a Hall of Fame quarterback, great quarterback, great coaching staff. I mean, like I said, it’s a surreal moment. It’s amazing. I’m ready to go. But at the end of the day, it’s all about accountability. I have to be accountable for him (Brady), the team, everybody. So with all that said and done, I still have to come to work. I still have to put the work in. You can say, ‘We got Mike (Evans). We got Tom.’ But we all have to put the work in. Nobody’s going to give us anything. We just got to come out here and work each and every day. That’s all it’s about.”
Julio Jones now officially has signed his one-year deal with the Buccaneers. pic.twitter.com/8RMwSrSA2c
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 27, 2022
- Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf did report to camp on Tuesday but was watching, not participating, when the team took the field on Wednesday. Metcalf was recovering from a foot injury this off season but Pete Carroll did confirm that he was not sitting out do to an injury. Carroll said when asked about the contract negotiations :
“We’re working, I don’t have any update for you, but we’re working.”
Seahawks WR DK Metcalf reports to camp, holding in amid contract negotiations. "I don't have any update for you, but we're working (on a contract)," Pete Carroll says. https://t.co/L0tylKx5Jk pic.twitter.com/3gS7bXbFIB
— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) July 27, 2022
- The Atlanta Falcons have named Marcus Mariota as their starting quarterback to begin training camp. Rookie Desmond Ridder was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2022 draft and as it appears he will be the backup. Quaterbacks coach Charles London said on Wednesday :
“Obviously, we’ve got a plan for each of them. Marcus is the starter,”
Falcons declare Marcus Mariota their starter.
— NFL News (@SportsCentralFB) July 27, 2022
- James Derwin, 25-year-old safety for the Los Angeles Chargers, is in California with the rest of the team but has yet to partake in any activities. James underwent shoulder surgery this off season but coach Staley did say that he is 100% physically and the hold up was the unresolved contract issues.
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) July 28, 2022
- The New York Yankees have picked up Andrew Benintendi from the Kansas City Royals in return for right-handed pitching prospects Beck Way and Chandler Champlain, also left-hander T.J. Sikkema. Benintendi is expected to join his new team on Thursday when the Yankees play Kansas City at home.
The New York Yankees today announced that they have acquired OF Andrew Benintendi from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for minor leaguers RHP Chandler Champlain, LHP T.J. Sikkema and RHP Beck Way.
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) July 28, 2022
- Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout has been on the injured list since July 18th with what was being called “back spasms”. Trout is dealing with a rare back condition called costovertebral dysfunction at T5. Angels trainer Mike Frostad said on Wednesday :
“This is a pretty rare condition that he has right now in his back. The doctor (Robert Watkins), who is one of the most well-known spine surgeons in the country, if not the world, doesn’t see a lot of these.”
Mike Trout injury update: Angels star diagnosed with rare back condition, return timetable uncertain https://t.co/sgRPuUhcXH
— CBS Sports MLB (@CBSSportsMLB) July 27, 2022
- The New York Mets completed a 2-game sweep in this round of the Subway Series beating the New York Yankees 3-2 on Wednesday night. Pete Alonso hit a homerun early off of Domingo Germán, and Francisco Lindor had an RBI single sending the Mets into the 8th inning with a 2-0 lead. The Yankees tied it up when Gleyber Torres hit a 2-run homer off usual starter David Peterson, who is inexperienced as a reliever. In the bottom of the 9th-inning Starling Marte hit a single sending home the winning run for the Mets. Max Scherzer had a solid outing on his 38th birthday allowing only 5 hits and striking out 6, 3 of which were Aaron Judge.
— New York Mets (@Mets) July 28, 2022
- The St. Louis Cardinals put an end to the Toronto Blue Jays 7 game win streak with a 6-1 win on Wednesday night. Albert Pujols hit a 3-run shot and finished with 3 hits while Adam Wainwright pitched 7 great innings to help St. Louis earn the victory and the split of the 2-game series in Toronto.
— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) July 28, 2022