- Los Angeles Chargers star safety Derwin James has agreed to a blockbuster 4-year extension worth $76.4 million. This contract will make James the highest-paid safety in the NFL with an annual salary of $19.13 million. He will also receive $42 million guaranteed and $29 million in the 1st year.
Sources: #Chargers S Derwin James is signing a 4-year extension averaging $19.1M per year making him the highest paid Safety in NFL history. The deal includes a record-breaking $42M guaranteed. James makes a record $29M in year 1. Contract done by David Mulugheta of Athletes 1st
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 17, 2022
- The Las Vegas Raiders saw the return of several players on Wednesday. Tight end Darren Waller made his return after being out since last month for undisclosed reasons. Waller did mention at a WNBA game that he was “working through some things”. They also saw 4 players being taken off the PUP list, cornerback Trayvon Mullen, defensive tackles Bilal Nichols and Johnathan Hankins, and receiver Dillon Stoner.
🔴🎥 Live: Coach Carmen Bricillo, Tyron Johnson, DJ Turner and Tashawn Bower address the media during Training Camp from the Intermountain Healthcare Performance Center. https://t.co/EWfP1gKDIU
— Las Vegas Raiders (@Raiders) August 17, 2022
- For the 2nd day in a row the New England Patriots and the Carolina Panthers couldn’t get through practice without fighting. Wednesday the fight spilled over into the crowd injuring a fan. Patriots defensive lineman Deatrich Wise Jr. took Panthers star Christian McCaffrey down while the back was already out of bounds, reported by ESPN’s David Newton and Mike Reiss. McCaffrey took issue with the hit and in return spiked the ball at Wise, causing the brawl that led to the defensive lineman falling on a fan.
— Janilson Lopes (@Ja_Lopes_7) August 17, 2022
- Brett Baty sent one over the wall in his first major league at-bat, Starling Marte homered twice and the New York Mets beat the Braves 9-7 Wednesday to put an end to Atlanta’s 8-game win streak.
— New York Mets (@Mets) August 18, 2022
- The Texas Rangers have fired longtime president of baseball operations Jon Daniels. General manager Chris Young will take over for Daniels’ effective immediately. The announcement came just 48 hours after Texas seperated ways with manager Chris Woodward.
BREAKING: The Texas Rangers have fired president of baseball operations Jon Daniels. pic.twitter.com/HBuE9rYmfo
— Rangers Nation (@RangerNationDAL) August 17, 2022
- The New York Yankees narrowly avoid being swept with a walk-off grand slam in the 10th inning. New York edging out Tampa Bay Rays 8-7.
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) August 18, 2022