- The Cleveland Browns announced on Wednesday that they plan to go with most of their starters in Fridays pre-season game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. This includes quarterback Deshaun Watson who awaits the decision of the NFL appeal of his 6 game suspension. Commissioner Roger Goodell is in full support of a more severe punishment of a full year suspension. If former New Jersey Attorney General Peter C. Harvey imposes a full year suspension before Friday Watson will not play.
By announcing that Deshaun Watson will start on Friday night, the Browns are basically asking Peter Harvey to suspend or get off the pot. https://t.co/nnVh3kQlEG
— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) August 10, 2022
- The Roquan Smith and Chicago Bears saga took another turn on Wednesday. The Bears removed the linebacker from the “physically unable to perform list”. To this point Smith has been a “hold-in” and negotiations seem to have completely come to a screeching halt. Being on the PUP list allowed him to attend meetings and workouts at Halas Hall without having to be fined for missing practices. It is still not known if the Bears took him off the list because of a possible contract extension or trade, or to be able to fine him for missing practices. Yesterday Smith publicly asked to be traded in a public statement that threw out some big accusations.
If you put Roquan Smith on a defense with Marcus Williams, Marlon Humphrey, Odafe Oweh, Kyle Hamilton, Patrick Queen and (hopefully healthy) Tyus Bowser… you have SO much explosive pursuit speed and coverage matchup versatility it’s ridiculous… https://t.co/yW9pdTrOF6
— Spencer N. Schultz (@ravens4dummies) August 10, 2022
- Thursday night pre-season games : New York Giants @ New England Patriots – 7:00pm ET (NFL Network), Tennesse Titans @ Baltimore Ravens – 7:30pm ET
- The Los Angeles Dodgers keep rolling along in there season high now 10 game winning streak. Chris Taylor sent one over the wall scoring the go ahead run in the 6th inning. Joey Gallo followed that up with a 3-run shot in the 7th. The Dodgers defeated the Minnesota Twins 8-5.
LA is supposed to be a place to escape to. Instead, the Dodgers have made it a place opponents want to escape from. With Joey Gallo's first homer with the team, the #Dodgers sweep the Twins after doing the same to the Padres.
— Dodger Insider (@DodgerInsider) August 11, 2022
- The Detroit Tigers made an announcement on Wednesday that they have fired executive vice president and general manager Al Avila. The consensus across social media seems to be heavy support for the move made by Detroit. Tigers chairman and CEO Christopher Ilitch said in a statement :
“Once I decided to make a change, I sat down with Al and thanked him for his nearly 22 years of service to our organization.”
- Vaughn Grissom certainly made a very loud statement in his first major league at bat for the Atlanta Braves. Called up from Double-A earlier in the day on Wednesday the 21 year old completely smashed a home run over the green monster and on to Lansddowne Street. Grissom also hit a single and scored another run, and Marcell Ozuna hit a 3-run shot to help Atlanta complete a 2-game sweep winning 8-4 on Wednesday night.
FIRST CAREER HIT.
— Bally Sports: Braves (@BravesOnBally) August 11, 2022