- The Pittsburg Steelers have finally let the cat out of the bag and made the announcement on who their starting QB would be come week 1. Mitch Trubisky has been named the starter and was voted as a co-captain by his teammates on Monday.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 5, 2022
- The Dallas Cowboys have signed free agent left tackle Jason Peters to a 1-year deal. They added the longtime NFC East rival in order to fill some injury openings on the offensive line. Peters will first be on the practice squad and will not be ready for the week 1 matchup. Defensive end Mike Tafua was released in order to make room for Peters.
“I’m excited. This my home state. … I don’t call [the #Cowboys] arrogant. I call it swagger.”
– Jason Peters on once calling Dallas arrogant
“I couldn’t pass it up — playing for the Cowboys. … When Jerry called, I came.” pic.twitter.com/eciFSd5AxL
— Patrik [No C] Walker (@VoiceOfTheStar) September 5, 2022
- New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson did work out on Monday and a small possibility does still remain that he may be able to make the week 1 start. Wilson suffered a bone bruise and torn meniscus in their pre-season opener on August 12th in Philadelphia. Coach Robert Saleh said in a zoom call on Monday that “He looked good, felt good,” and added that they will evaluate the next 2 days and make a decision come Wednesday if they will go with Wilson or Flacco.
#Jets’ Zach Wilson works out, still ‘possible’ to start vs. Ravens.
Whether that's a little gamesmanship or optimism – or both – it's good news that it's even a possibility less than a month after knee surgery.
— Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73) September 5, 2022
- The Boston Red Sox have signed outfielder Enrique Hernandez to a 1-year contract extension worth $10 million. A hip injury has limited Hernandez to just 67 games but over those games he has turned in a .222/.359/.646 with 6 home runs and 37 RBIs. He was scheduled to go into free agency this summer.
Center fielder Kiké Hernandez and the Boston Red Sox are in agreement on a one-year, $10 million contract extension that will keep him in Boston for the 2023 season, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.
News story free at ESPN: https://t.co/PjDYm8qXKZ
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) September 6, 2022
- The Toronto Blue Jays beat the Baltimore Orioles 8-4 Monday night. Toronto completed the series sweep and extended their lead in the AL wild-card race. Bo Bichette hit a career-high 3 home runs in the 2nd game of a doubleheader. Bichette saying after the game :
“I think today was probably the most competitive we’ve been all year. It’s a good thing at this time of year, especially in this series.”
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) September 6, 2022
- Hunter Brown was impressive in his major league debut on Monday night. Brown gave up just 3 hits over 6 very solid innings helping the Houston Astros beat Texas 1-0. Houston handing the Rangers their 9th straight loss. Brown saying after the game :
“I thought I had some pretty good stuff today. I had both breaking balls going at times, and my fastball was really good early. So I was happy with it.”
Hunter Brown, Dirty 85mph Curveball. 😨 pic.twitter.com/P7L3JOuoGt
— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) September 5, 2022