- The Carolina Panthers made the announcement on Monday that they will go with Baker Mayfield in the #1 spot. Mayfield beat out Sam Darnold in training camp and will make his 1st start against his former team the Cleveland Browns.
The Panthers have officially announced Baker Mayfield as their starting QB pic.twitter.com/HurOpDQ6Z3
— PFF (@PFF) August 22, 2022
- New York Giants rookie Kayvon Thibodeaux is anticipated to miss 3 possibly 4 weeks after suffering an MCL sprain in Sunday’s preseason game. Giants are hopeful to see his return on the closer end of that timeline. The hope is that he will be cleared in time to play in the season opener on September 11th against the Tennessee Titans.
Initial tests revealed that Giants’ DE Kayvon Thibodeaux suffered a sprained MCL that is expected to sideline him 3-4 weeks, per source. His ACL and meniscus were intact.
Giants are still hopeful that he will be ready for the regular-season opener vs. the Titans, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 22, 2022
- Marcus Mariota tightened his grip on the starting spot after a good showing in last nights pre-season game against the New York Jets. Mariota led Atlanta to score on 2 of his 3 drives in the Falcons’ 24-16 loss against the Jets who played mostly backups.
Marcus Mariota is LOCKED IN! 🔒 #DirtyBirds
— Sunday Night Football on NBC (@SNFonNBC) August 23, 2022
- The New York Yankees have managed to put together 2 in a row beating the New York Mets 4-2 on Monday night. Aaron Judge hit his league leading 47th homerun in the 3rd inning off of Scherzer. DJ LeMahieu had a 1st inning sacrifice fly that made it 3-0, Isiah Kiner-Falefa and Andrew Benintendi both contributed 5th inning doubles and Benintendi later picking up an RBI single in the 7th all leading to the win for the Yankees.
Benny bash 💪 pic.twitter.com/AY58dRwQGo
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) August 23, 2022
- Minnesota Twins center fielder, Byron Buxton, was pulled out of the game with hip trouble and the Texas Rangers beat the Twins 2-1 Monday night. Adolis García sent one over the wall and Corey Seager singled home the go-ahead run in the 6th inning. Buxton came out of the game in the 7th inning with right hip tightness.
Rocco Baldelli on Byron Buxton playing through injuries all season:
"What he's done to this point has been pretty amazing with the physical difficulties he's had."
"I don't know what percentage he's at, but it's not a high percentage of what he can normally do physically." pic.twitter.com/plImgwUeQ8
— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) August 23, 2022
- Chicago Cubs right-hander Kyle Hendricks will be out for the entirety this season after he has been suffering with shoulder trouble for much of the year. Hendricks will finish with a 4-6 record and a career-high 4.80 ERA in 16 starts.
Kyle Hendricks said most recent MRI revealed a capsular tear in his shoulder (estimates it’s about halfway healed now). Hopeful of being able to resume throwing before end of the season. But his focus is fully on being 100% for 2023. pic.twitter.com/czR5qds7en
— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) August 22, 2022
- The Los Angeles Dodgers and Max Muncy agreed to a 1-year, $13.5-million contract extension Monday. The deal contains a club option for 2024 worth $10 million. Muncy has the opportunity to increase the option to $14 million through incentive clauses based of off plate appearances.
The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to terms with IF Max Muncy on a one-year contract extension for $13.5 million for the 2023 season with a club option for the 2024 season for $10 million with incentives.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 22, 2022