- The Colorado Avalanche completely overwhelmed the Tamp Bay Lightning routing them 7-0 and going up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup Final. Valeri Nichushkin and Cale Maker scored 2 goals each. Andre Burakovsky, Darren Helm and Josh Mason all contributing a goal as well. Darcy Kuemper had 16 saves for the Avalanche. Colorado seems to have complete control of the finals at this point and are just 2 wins away from being champions.
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) June 19, 2022
- Washington Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom had left hip resurfacing surgery on Friday. No specific timeline has been mentioned for his rehab. It was just said that he will immediately begin “the lengthy recovery process”.
Sending all the positive vibes to Nicky pic.twitter.com/NlRO2ns8i5
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) June 18, 2022
- The Edmonton Oilers are in the final stretch of signing head coach Jay Woodcroft to a 3-year deal. Woodcroft took over for Dave Tippet in February but was not labeled as “interim” at the time.
**Breaking News** 🚨 📰 .
— Kevin Weekes (@KevinWeekes) June 18, 2022
- Next Finals game : Monday 6/20/2022 – Colorado Avalanche at Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 3) (COL 2 – TB 0) – 8:00pm EST (ABC)
- Los Angeles outfielder Mookie Betts has been placed on the IL with a cracked rib. Betts suffered the injury during a collision with teammate Cody Bellinger on Wednesday. He was scratched from both Friday and Saturdays games due to soreness. He underwent an MRI which revealed the extent of the injury. There is no immediate timeline for his return, the team saying they will have a better idea in a week or so.
Dodgers star Mookie Betts is headed to the injured list with a cracked right rib. There's no timeline for the 2018 AL MVP's return.https://t.co/yBbQlj8Jqs
— AP Sports (@AP_Sports) June 19, 2022
- The New York Yankees continue to be on fire winning their 9th straight game on Saturday 4-0 against the Toronto Blue Jays. Starter Jameson Taillon, relievers Michael King and Clay Holmes combined for the 5-hit shutout. Holmes made his 29th consecutive scoreless relief appearance, breaking Mariano Rivera’s 1999 team record.
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) June 18, 2022
- The Washington Nationals retired their 1st jersey number on a ceremony before Saturdays game. 8 months after playing his last game for the club, 17 years 11 days after being the very 1st player drafted by the Nationals Ryan Zimmerman “Mr. National” watched as a plaque with his name and number on it was unveiled on the upper deck in foul territory between home plate and right field.
You were born to be a Washington National.
— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) June 18, 2022
- Golden State Warriors assistant coach Kenny Atkinson has officially passed on the Charlotte Hornets’ vacant head coaching spot and will stay on with the defending champions.
ESPN Sources: Kenny Atkinson has decided he won’t become the Charlotte Hornets’ head coach and will remain with Golden State as top assistant. After being offered job during the NBA Finals, further conversations led Atkinson to believe it would be best to remain with Warriors.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) June 18, 2022
- After winning the NBA Championship on Thursday standout Andrew Wiggins has made it known that he wants to sign a contract extension and stay put in San Francisco.
"I would love to stay here."
Andrew Wiggins on a possible extension with the Warriors 👀 pic.twitter.com/ggRi8y607g
— Warriors on NBCS (@NBCSWarriors) June 18, 2022
- Bradly Beal of the Washington Wizards is staying pretty tight lipped about what he sees happening with his contract situation. When asked on Saturday how he expects free agency to go he said : “Crazy probably — like it always is.” and then was asked how he expects his own contract situation to work out he responded : “My situation? Crazy probably.” He did indicate earlier in the season that he was leaning towards staying in Washington.
— Josh Robbins (@JoshuaBRobbins) June 18, 2022