- Two times before the Carolina Hurricanes made it to the playoffs just to be pushed out by the Boston Bruins. The Hurricanes finally overcame their playoff bully and beat the Bruins 3-2 in Game 7 on Saturday. With the help of midseason acquisition Max Domi who scored twice in the 2nd period and Antti Raanta who had 27 saves the Hurricanes are moving on to the next round. Carolina will face the winner of Sunday’s Game 7 between the New York Rangers and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Surging into the second round!!! pic.twitter.com/7W0ackJ9Or
— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) May 14, 2022
- The 2-time defending champion Tampa Bay Lightning hold off the Toronto Maple Leafs 2-1 in Game 7. Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 29 shots and Nick Paul scored both goals for Tampa. Morgan Rielly scored the Maple Leafs only goal.
NICHOLAS 🥵 pic.twitter.com/7SMrBs9EJm
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) May 15, 2022
- Connor McDavid had a goal and an assist, Cody Ceci also scored a goal and Mike Smith made 28 saves getting his 2nd shutout of the playoffs for the Oilers. The Edmonton Oilers beat the Los Angeles Kings 2-0 and will move on to the 2nd round.
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) May 15, 2022
- Sunday Playoff schedule : Pittsburg Penguins at New York Rangers – 7:00pm EST (TBS), Dallas Stars at Calgary Flames – 9:30pm EST (ESPN2)
- Detroit Tigers right-hander Michael Pineda was pulled from Saturday’s start against the Baltimore Orioles after getting hit in the hand by a shot up the middle off the bat of Ramon Urias, who lead off the 2nd inning. Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said after the game that Pineda suffered a broken right middle finger.
Starter Michael Pineda was knocked out of the game just four batters in (line drive off his right hand), but a quintet of relievers had his back. https://t.co/p3qxjSgP09
— Detroit News Sports (@detnews_sports) May 14, 2022
- Teoscar Hernandez and Danny Jansen both homered in the 8th inning helping the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Tampa Bay Rays 5-1 Saturday ending a 5-game losing streak. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. also hit a single in the 1st inning off Rays starter Ryan Yarbrough, extending his hitting streak to 11 games.
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) May 15, 2022
- Shohei Ohtani hit another milestone on Saturday night. He launched a 2-run homer in the 5th inning making it the 100th of his career. He helped lift the Los Angeles Angels to a 9-1 win over the Oakland A’s in the 2nd game of a doubleheader. Ohtani became just the 3rd Japanese player to reach 100 career homers in the Major League, joining Hideki Matsui (175) and Ichiro Suzuki (117).
For the 100th time, Shohei Ohtani has gone deep. pic.twitter.com/dFTgf502op
— MLB (@MLB) May 15, 2022
- Philadelphia 76er’s President of basketball operations, Daryl Morey, confirmed the 60-year-old Doc Rivers will return as head coach.
The Lakers dodged their biggest bullet of the offseason as Sixers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey told media on Friday that Doc Rivers would be returning as the team’s head coach. @LakersSBN https://t.co/aKiiauDfNP
— SB Nation NBA (@SBNationNBA) May 13, 2022
- Sunday Playoff schedule : Milwaukee Bucks at Boston Celtics – 3:30pm EST (ABC), Dallas Mavericks at Phoenix Suns – 8:00pm EST (TNT)