- 24-year-old Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf was entering the final year of his rookie contract. Thursday afternoon the news hit that both sides had agreed to a 3-year contract extension worth $72 million that includes $58.2 million guaranteed. This deal also gives Metcalf the highest signing bonus for a WR ever at $30 million.
Seahawks’ WR DK Metcalf is signing a three-year, $72 million extension that includes $58.2 million guaranteed, per source. Deal includes $30 million signing bonus, the highest ever for a WR. Metcalf will be a free agent again at 27 years old.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 28, 2022
- Free-agent pass-rusher Carlos Dunlap will sign a 1-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, worth up to $8 million.
— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) July 28, 2022
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers center Ryan Jensen was carried off the practice field in a cart on Thursday. They are fearful that he has suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury. He will continue to undergo testing and they are hopeful to have more answers in the next few days. 31-year-old Jensen has played every game over the last 4 years since joining the Bucs.
“Hopefully it just looked worse than it is.” – from a #Bucs official who saw C Ryan Jensen go down and get carted off. The worrisome aspect is Jensen is considered one of the tougher guys around, so the fact he slammed his helmet the way he did could be concerning.
— James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) July 28, 2022
- The Seattle Seahawks will have to do without safety Jamal Adams for an undetermined period of time after he had to leave training camp to seek-out additional medical opinions about the fingers on his left hand that he previously had surgery on. Adams did participate in the first day of training camp on Wednesday but was not present on Day 2. Carroll said that Adams “wasn’t right” and left to go visit some specialists.
Seahawks safety Jamal Adams missed practice today to get his surgically repaired hand/fingers checked out
HC Pete Carroll sayid something "didn't feel right" yesterday and he’s now getting additional opinions.
— Sports ON Tap Seattle 🎙 (@SONTSeattle) July 28, 2022
- The New York Mets have gained outfielder Tyler Naquin and reliever Phillip Diehl from the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds got in return, right-handed pitching prospect Jose Acuna and minor league outfielder Hector Rodriguez.
Mets view Naquin as another LHH to increase versatility. Jankowski’s spot likely in jeopardy. Against RHP, Mets can go Naquin in LF, Guillorme at 3B, keeping McNeil at 2B. Against LHP, Canha in LF, Escobar at 3B. Can also rest Nimmo on occasion, with Canha in CF and Naquin in LF.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 29, 2022
- Bottom of the 9th inning, the New York Yankees and the Kansas City Royals were tied 0-0. Aaron Judge came to the plate and seems to be making a habit of walk-off home-runs. The Yankees beat the Royals 1-0, with the Yankees only managing 2 hits for the entirety of the game. This was Judges league leading 39th homer and his 3rd walk-off homerun this season.
— MLB (@MLB) July 29, 2022
- The Los Angeles Angels are now saying that they will listen to any offer and that no player is off the table. The previously thought to be untouchable Shohei Ohtani seems to be included in that statement. It is doubtful that a trade of that sort will happen before the Tuesday deadline.
Asked Shohei Ohtani after the game tonight if he wanted to be with the Angels both in the short term and the long term.
Here's what he said: pic.twitter.com/5bSc5BTh16
— Sam Blum (@SamBlum3) July 29, 2022
- Alex Bregman hit a 2-run shot over the wall in the bottom of the 1st and then had a tiebreaking RBI double in the 8th inning, lifting the Houston Astros over the Seattle Mariners 4-2 on Thursday night. A necessary bounce back for Houston after suffering their 1st series sweep of the season at the hands of the Oakland A’s. Bregman said after the game :
“It feels great. A tough time over there (in Oakland), but I think this team does a good job of turning the page, and it was an example of that tonight.”
RBI double by Alex Bregman gives the Astros the lead in the 8th! pic.twitter.com/iruqCekP3Z
— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) July 29, 2022